Want better science in your seminary curriculum?
Attend a workshop for free!
**Retreat applications for the 2019 Summer Enrichment Retreat are now closed. The application period for the 2020 retreat will open in early 2020.**
Are you a faculty member or administrator at an ATS-Accredited Seminary? Are you interested in discussing the impact of science in theological education? Are you looking to find new ways to incorporate contemporary, mainstream science into your seminary curriculum? Do you want to have the opportunity to have one-on-one conversations with scientists about the latest advances in the field?
Then apply to attend the 2019 Summer Faculty Enrichment Retreat with the AAAS Dialogue on Science, Ethics, and Religion! If you are one of the ten individuals selected to attend, your travel, lodging, and meals will be fully covered by AAAS.
The goal of the retreat is to prepare future religious leaders for conversations at the intersection of faith and science by providing an opportunity for faculty to gather new ideas for enriching theological education with forefront science in their own curricula. Designed to be intimate workshops with seminary peers and scientist advisors, the retreat will balance plenary presentations, workshops, and small group discussions with time for reflection.
– Connect with like-minded leaders from seminaries across the country
– Engage with learning outcomes gleaned from previous participants in the Science for Seminaries project
– Learn about the latest advances in scientific fields during one-on-one conversations with expert scientists
See submission details below. All applications are due by 11:59PM PST, Friday, April 12, 2019.
The retreat will be held from July 29 to August 1 at Homestead Resort in Midway, Utah.
Summary of Contest Rules
1. A completed application form by clicking here to apply!
2. Essay question responses submitted on a separate document no longer than two pages (essay questions available on application site)
3. An abbreviated CV (max 4 pages)
4. A letter of support from Dean or another supervising administrator at your institution
5. A sample template of syllabus for at least one course in which the applicant has attempted to or plans to integrate science
*All application documents are due by 11:59PM PST on Friday, April 12, 2019.
Number of Awards
Up to ten applicants will be selected and invited to attend the AAAS Science for Seminaries Workshop. The selected invitees’ travel, lodging, and meals will be covered by AAAS. Applicants agree that, if selected, they will attend the AAAS Faculty Enrichment Workshop held from July 29 – August 1, 2019 in its entirety.
The selections will be based on
*Level of interest in integrating forefront science,
*Institutional need to provide opportunities for science enrichment in the seminary environment
*The applicant’s individual and institutional commitment (as demonstrated by the support letter) to implement science integration into curriculum
*The applicant’s overall capacity to benefit from workshop participation.
Dates to Remember
|January 14, 2019||Retreat Applications Open|
|April 12, 2019||Retreat Applications Close|
|May 6, 2019||Retreat Decisions Announced|
|July 29-August 1, 2019||Science for Seminaries Summer Workshop|
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions regarding this process.